Nos 1 to 8 THE PIAZZA, Bedford Chambers (including No 33 James Street); Grade II Listed
Terraced houses with arcade. 1877-79 by Henry Clutton, rebuilding on a larger scale and with modified detail of Inigo Jones’s original north west “piazza” block. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. The arcading faithful to the Jones-Isaac de Caus original but the upper floor and pilasters modified with attic storey added. 4 storeys plus dormers. Regular 8 window wide front with James Street return in rhythm 1:3:1. Ground floor proper set back behind rusticated stone arcade (the “piazzas”) carrying the facade, the arcade vaulted and shop fronts surmounted by mezzanines within the arches, doorways architraved with console bracketed cornices. 1st and 2nd floors have stone architraved sashes separated by rhythm of the channelled stone pilasters; attic storey windows in stone panelled strip frames. String course with plinth at 1st floor level over arcade; projecting bracketed main cornice over 2nd floor and frieze and similar but with centre piece of 3 Gibbs surround doorways surmounted by mezzanine windows below 1st floor balcony; outer bays with big arched entrances, that on left the return end of arcade to Covent Garden. This Clutton block is the sole if remodelled reminder of the original “piazzas” of Jones’s 1631 square.
BOW STREET, Floral Hall; Grade II Listed
Former market hall. Built 1858-60 by E.M. Barry originally to serve as a winter garden/concert hall annexe to the Opera House, roof rebuilt after fire damage in 1956. Cast iron glazed frame abutting the south side of the Opera House with a red brick stone dressed elevation to the south. Italianate with ornate dressing up of the ironwork. 2 storey height. 6 bay wide front to Bow Street. Recessed central 2 bay entrance, enriched cast iron gates and spear head railings. Upper register has arcaded lights with enriched spandrels. South front has an 8 bay range of red brick and stone pilasters terminating at west end in a 4 bay iron prostyle transept and arcaded at 1st floor level. Cast iron decorated interior with arcaded balconies over aisles. Before fire damage the roofs were barrel vaulted after Paxton with a glazed dome over the west pavilion.
BOW STREET, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden; Grade I Listed
Opera house. Rebuild of 1857-1858 by E.M.Barry. Stucco and stone, slate roof. Monumental Augustan classicism tinged with Italianate. Front 7 bays wide. Imposing, pedimented, giant Corinthian hexastyle portico raised on tall rusticated podium now with foyer doors but originally a porte cochere. The flanking bays are framed by coupled giant pilasters and contain at portico level niches with statues on Melpomene and Thalia by Rossi whilst behind the portico is a long and partially altered bas relief frieze by Flaxman salvaged from Smirke’s theatre of 1808-9. Prominent crowning of Portico has a later C.19 crush bar conservatory inserted. Return elevations articulated by plain giant pilasters above podium. Very fine interior and auditorium with few alterations to Barry’s scheme, horseshoe tiers beneath saucer dome on elliptical arches and pendentives, enriched proscenium, the sounding board with relief ornament; rich plasterwork etc. Stage retains most extensive installation of Asphaleria machinery in London: 1899-1902 by Edwin 0. Sachs. Present building the successor of Theatres Royal and Operas since 1731, still under Royal patent. Stuccoed extension in same style to west with fly tower, 1980.
WELLINGTON STREET, London’s Transport Museum (formerly listed as The Flower Market); Grade II Listed
Former market hall. 1871-72 by William Rogers of Cubitts with 1884-86 extensions in Tavistock Street and new west front. Red and white brick with stone and terracotta dressings, glass roofs. Italianate detailing. Tall single storey front to Wellington street. 3 bays wide. Arcade of 3 large arches framing double doors in outer bays and window in centre. Each arch has glazed radiating fanlight and key block, the central window key block with letter “B” for Bedford beneath coronet. Modillion cornice and balustraded parapet. Interior structure of cast iron with glazed clerestories supporting slatted roofs and skylights, planned in form of 2 lofty naves between 3 aisles. Short east nave returns to from transept crossing the west nave. The Italianate red brick, stone dressed. Tavistock Street front boldly expressed the main structure: the nave and aisle divisions are masked by pilasters between which are spaced semicircular arched openings, a pair of windows to each nave, a window to the west aisle and double doors with fanlights to the middle and east aisles. Above each nave bay is a pedimented attic with large lunette window. Similar feature ends the west transept on west front which is of the same design.
COVENT GARDEN, Jubilee Hall; Grade II Listed
Former market hall. 1897-1903 by James Cubitt, built as the Foreign Flower Market. Red brick with plenty of stone dressings, glazed and slated roofs. Edwardian “Wrenaissance” Baroque. 2 storeys with open ground floor loggia and 1st floor double hall. Symmetrical facades with corner pavilions flanking east and west fronts of 3 major bays and on their returns longer north and south facades of 4 major bays. Main entrance to east between central pair of Tuscan loggia columns with Venetian window above. Similar west end. The north and south long fronts have Tuscan piers to loggia and clerestory fenestration of 4 pairs of sash windows with Tuscan columns between the centrally placed Coat of Arms; entablature and balustraded parapet. The pavilions with rusticated quoin pilasters, have entrances to 1st floor hall in wide gabled doorways with block dressings and keys, 1st floor sash windows and lunettes in the open pediments crowning each face, parapets with urn finials to corners and overall domed cupolas. Interior has main access to 1st floor halls by grand double staircase approached by vaulted porticoes in the eastern entrance pavilions. 1st floor halls have pilasters dividing clerestories and glazed roof lights over cast iron trusses, doorways with voussoir blocked and keystoned heads.
COVENT GARDEN, Market building; Grade II* Listed
Former covered market buildings. 1828-30 by Charles Fowler. Granite, stock brick and stucco, slate and glass roofs. Triple ranges in a neoclassical composition. North and south elevations have 12 bay granite monolith Doric colonnades flanking central 2 storey, pedimented Venetian entrances, the ranges terminating in square 2 storey lodge pavilions with pyramidal chimney-finialed lead roofs. The east end has a 4-deep Doric column portico with balustraded terrace and a pedimented gable decked with urns and a sculptural group marking the central Avenue: an arcade of restored shops with mezzanine windows set in arcade, with 5 attic storey lights, above each bay, set behind dwarf Doric columns, glazed roof on kingpost trussed. The former open market spaces between the ranges were roofed in 1874-75 and 1888-89 by Cubitt’s with iron columns linked by skeleton arches supporting semicircular trusses of glazed and slated roof with open clerestory. The west front of the Central Avenue has a 5-bay centre framed by pediment gable; 5-bay colonnades flank the inner faces of the outer ranges at the west end balancing the centre feature. The whole of the complex has been restored by the GLC.
HENRIETTA STREET, No.30; Grade II Listed
Chambers and offices with gateway through to St. Paul’s Churchyard. c.1890 rebuild incorporating gateway of c.1730 with gates of 1714-15. Red brick with stone dressing, slate roof, 4 storeys. 3 windows wide. The ground floor altered mid C.20 except for churchyard entrance bay to left which is of channelled stucco with large block dressed architrave gateway with pulvinated frieze and deep cornice framing fine wrought iron gate to passageways. The upper floors of c.1890 elevation have recessed sash windows under gauged flat arches to centre and right and to left on upper 2 floors a 2 storey canted bay window. String courses and cornice with parapet. Wrought iron balcony across 1st floor. Listed for churchyard entrance only.
HENRIETTA STREET, 5 Lampstandards numbered 1 to 5; Grade II Listed
Lampstandards. Dated 1910. Cast iron fluted standards of the “Eddystone” Column type monogrammed “G.V.R.” with Nico lanterns. Included for group value.
HENRIETTA STREET, Nos. 9 and 10; Grade II Listed
Pair of terrace houses. 1726-27 in two builds, front of No. 10 refaced in 1855 by James Lockyer and No.9 to match in 1861. Painted Portland cement render and dressings, slate roofs. 4 storeys and basements. Each of 3 windows wide. Ground floors with mid C.20 shop fronts under entablature fascia. Upper floors have recessed Victorian sashes in plain architraves with cornices on consoles to 1st floor and moulded heads to 2nd floor. Cill bands; moulded dentil crowning cornice and balustraded parapet. The interior of No. 9 retains original cut and carved string newels, simplified with turned balusters and panelling to dado only above 2nd floor landing; pilastered opening, with coffered soffit to cornice-beam, between hall and stairs; panelled 2nd and 3rd floor rooms, the latter with carved chimneypiece to front etc. No. 10 also retains staircase, cut string with differing turned balusters grouped as 2 per tread, panelled well, 2nd floor rooms with panelling and box cornices, Adam style chimney piece to rear front room etc.
HENRIETTA STREET, No.22 (Including No 34 Bedford Street) Alginate House; Grade II Listed
Professional chambers and apartments. 1857-58 by Charles Gray. Stucco, concealed roof. Eclectic Florentine quattrocento palazzo design. 4 storeys and basement. Double fronted 3 windows wide but slightly narrower return. The ground and 1st floors as one tall podium bound at corners by massive channelled quoin piers, with central “Romanesque” shafted doorway under bracketed cornice hood, similar pilaster framed flanking windows widely spaced and on 3rd floor arcaded range of 9 windows, some blind, beneath very prominent bracketed and machicolated eaves cornice. Moulded 2nd floor cill course and band cill course to top floor. Similar but closer spaced treatment to return.
HENRIETTA STREET, No. 3; Grade II Listed
Terrace House. 1780-81 rebuild, stucco dressings of 1876-7 by W. Limbird. Brown brick, stucco dressings, slate roof 4 storeys and basement. 3 windows wide. The stucco ground floor scribed as stone coursing, has late C.18 doorway to right with pilastered case with modified console brackets carrying entablature with paterae enriched frieze, panelled door and semicircular fanlight; ground floor sashes have architraves and vermiculated keystones. Architraved sashes to upper floors, pedimented on 1st floor with segmental pediment over central window and cornices to outer 2nd floor windows flanking central pedimented one. Cill bands, crowning dentil cornice and balustraded parapet. Cast iron area railings with urn finials.
HENRIETTA STREET, No. 4; Grade II Listed
Terrace House. 1780-81 rebuild with alterations of 1865. Painted Portland cement rendering and dressings (1865) on brick, slate roof. 4 storeys and basement. 3 windows wide. Doorway to right flanked by rusticated piers with cornice over, panelled door and semicircular radial patterned fanlight; mid C.20 shop front. Upper floors have sashes in eared architraves, with pulvinated friezes and dentil cornices on 1st floor, enriched cornices linked by plat band to 2nd floor. Narrow frieze to crowning dentil cornice and balustraded parapet.
KING STREET, No.43; Grade II* Listed
Town mansion. 1716-17 and stylistically attributed to Thomas Archer, built for the Earl of Orford; C.19 and early C.20 alterations, restored 1980. Stone and brick stuccoed and painted, concealed roof. 3 storeys and attic storey, basement. 7 windows wide in rhythm 2:3:2. Ground floor has reinstated 3 bay Corinthian pedestalled column porch in antis, 2 segmental arched and keystoned recessed sash windows to each of the flanking bays, the whole articulated by 4 rusticated piers carrying composite fluted pilasters separating the 3 groups of segmental arched keystoned flanking windows and central elliptical arched ones with impost strings, on 1st and 2nd floors. The capitals of giant order surmounted by dosserets and the main cornice flanking raised central section of parapet. The ground floor return to the Piazza arcade has an elaborate segmental pedimented and rusticated Mannerist doorway of 1877-80. Interior considerably altered but 1st floor level of stair compartment remains as Board Room with original woodwork and fine and elaborately moulded plaster work panels with figured roundels suspended from beribboned garlands and coved frieze to elaborated oval framed plasterwork ceiling; finely carved profiled term chimneypiece in west front room, door furniture, dadoes etc. to rear 1st floor rooms. The original staircase re-erected at South Walsham Hall, Norfolk.
KING STREET, No.37; Grade II* Listed
Terrace House. 1773-74 rebuild possibly by James Paine. Stock brick with red brick, stone and stucco dressings, slate roof. A late Palladian design certainly in the Paine idiom. 4 storeys, and basement. 3 windows wide. Stucco faced ground floor with semicircular arched doorway to left up steps, recessed panelled door and fanlight with doorhead string carried out as impost over slender pilaster strips and to tight over similar frame to wide elliptically arched later C.19 display window above each pilaster an elongated console bracket supports ground floor cornice, The latter reads as plinth of pseudo pedestal to 1st floor semicircular arched recesses containing recessed glazing bar sashes to 2nd floor on cill band. The 3rd floor has a modified Diocletian with blind side lights in a large semicircular red brick arched recess rising from band course. An open stone corniced pediment frames and crowns the whole with short returns of cornice on brick brackets stopped against the Diocletian recess. The pediment feature is repeated in simplified form to rear above broad canted bay. Simple east iron area railings to front returned up steps. Interior has fine hall and staircase; the hall ceiling has 3 flat domes with bosses on panelled pendentives divided by transverse arches on scrolled consoles; the staircase of semi elliptical plan has stone treads and bombe square section wrought iron balusters rising to 2nd floor but with the compartment carried up through galleried 3rd floor landing to top flight where the walls are finished off with modified Corinthian cornices having satyr masks over the modillions and in between fluting and paterae the corona; the 2nd floor landing has fluted frieze enriched with urns and vases and the compartment wall has plain round headed niches on each floor. The rooms have little of their original decoration apart from good enriched cornices, panelled shutters etc.
KING STREET, No.38; Grade II Listed
Terrace House. Built or heavily rebuilt 1773-74. Stock brick, concealed roof. 4 storeys. 3 windows wide. Ground floor with mid C.20 doorway to left and shop window, in stucco pilaster frame with entablature. Upper floors have recessed sashes under flat gauged arches with stuccoed reveals. Parapet with stone coping rebuilt.
KING STREET, No.36; Grade II Listed
Terrace House. 1715-16 with front rebuilt c.1750-51. Stock brick, concealed roof. 4 storeys. 3 windows wide. Ground floor altered, mid to later C.20 shop front with plain C.19 doorway up steps to right in stucco surround. Upper floors have recessed sashes under flat gauged red brick arches, later casements to attic storey. 1st floor stone cill band and bracketed stone cornice over 2nd floor, rebuilt parapet with stone coping. The back elevation largely original, early C.18, with closet wing, has flush framed sashes under flat red brick arches and red brick strings between storeys. Interior with panelling to front 1st floor room with mid C.18 enriched plaster cornice. Staircase with probably altered plain balusters has turned newel posts and heavy swept handrail etc.
KING STREET, Nos. 31 and 32; Grade II Listed
Pair of terraced houses. c.1707 (No. 31 rebuilt after fire in 1713), refaced c.1860 by Nelson and Innes with the Duke of Bedford’s Surveyor Charles Parker as consultant. Stucco, slate roof. Eclectic Italianate detailing. 4 storeys. Each 3 windows wide. Ground floor with mid C.20 frontages. Upper floors have achitraved sashes, those on 1st and 2nd floors with bracketed cornices on consoles. Channelled quoin pilasters, cill courses, frieze and moulded cornice carried on consoles capping the quoin pilasters, parapet. Interiors retain early C.18 features with closed string dog leg staircase to No.32 with 2 twisted balusters per tread and stout baluster turned newels, moulded handrail, elements of panelling and box cornices, No. 31 with small simply panelled closets to 1st and 2nd floors with angle fire places. No. 31 has associations with the composer Dr. Thomas Arne.
KING STREET, No.33; Grade II Listed
Terrace House and shop. c.1860-70 rebuild. Stucco, slate roof. Italianate details. 4 storeys. 2 windows wide. Ground floor shop front, with display window and right hand doorway altered mid C.20, in pilaster frame carrying entablature with inswept frieze. Upper floors have architraved recessed sashes with semicircular arched heads, those on 1st floor with console bracketed cornices, those on 2nd floor with consoled segmental pediments, 3rd floor windows segmental arched. Cill courses, projecting moulded cornice and blocking course. Included for group interest only.
KING STREET, Nos 27 and 28; Grade II Listed
Offices. No 27 of C.18 origin altered early C.19 and refronted by Charles Mayhew 1853-54 and 1856, with No. 28 rebuilt to match No. 27 in 1856- 58 by Thomas Little, all for the Westminster Fire Office. Stucco faced, slate roof. Still retaining neo-classical features overlaid with Italianate details. 4 storeys and basement. 5 windows wide (the grouping in 2 and 3 bays revealing different builds). The ground floor, with mid C.20 display windows and doorways, is screened by a Roman Doric colonnade of 5 alternately narrow and wide bays, the entablature surmounted by richly scrolled rinceaux cast iron balcony with panelled and ball finialed dies. Channelled 1st and 2nd floors with architraved recessed casements surmounted by entablatures, the friezes of the 1st floor ones pulvinated. Square architraved windows to 3rd floor, with consoled cills, separated by panels. The central 2nd floor window of left hand group of 3 is replaced by large and boldly modelled cartouche of arms with Prince of Wales feathers surmounting wreathed portcullis. Cill bands, that to 2nd floor inscribed “Westminster Fire Offices”; deeply moulded frieze with large pairs of ornamented consoles rising from 3rd floor panels to projecting moulded cornice. Cast iron area railings of geometric pattern. Interior retaining fine late classical 1st floor boardroom redecorated by Professor Sir Albert Richardson.
KING STREET, Nos. 29 and 30; Grade II Listed
Combined pair of office premises. Rebuilds, No.29 of 1861 by Messrs.Francis, No. 30 of 1859-60 by C.G.Searle. Stuccoed slate roofs. Restrained Italianate details. 4 storeys and basement. 4 windows wide as 2 wide-spaced pairs. Ground floor shop fronts, No. 29 with good original design of central doorway and side windows all elliptically arched and framed by Corinthian pilasters and entablature. No. 30 shop front altered mid C.20. Architraved sash windows, segmental arched on 1st floor, with keystones and segmental pediments and blind balustrading on 2nd floor, plain with keystones to top floor. The 1st floor is channelled, with channelled quoin pilasters to 2nd floor; moulded string courses and cill courses, console bracketed main cornice and parapet with projecting dies.
KING STREET, No.26; Grade II Listed
Office block. 1860 rebuild by Arthur Allom with Mathew Digby Wyatt as consultant. Stucco, slate roof. Eclectic Italianate palazzo design. 4 storeys and basement. Wedge shape site, 9 windows wide aligned on Garrick Street, bowed corner and 3 window return to Rose Street and bowed corner with 1 window wide front to King Street. Channelled pier ground floor with central doorway and windows recessed in splayed reveals with segmental, mask keystone arches, the doorway and flanking windows slightly advanced with the piers vermiculated and the ground floor entablature broken forward in turn on consoles with the dentil cornice raised in pediment over doorway. 1st floor sashes recessed in enriched concave reveals with triple keystones to flat arches. 2nd floor sashes in architrave surrounds with panelled keystones. 3rd floor has small semicircular arched windows separated by large moulded panels with concave corners. Plinth, rusticated block quoins, cill bands, band course, moulded frieze and prominent enriched crowning cornice. The smaller scaled single bay to King Street, beyond quoining, has rusticated round arched and keystoned doorway with pediment, archvolted and keyed 1st floor window, plain architraved and keyed 2nd floor sash and inscribed round arched 3rd floor window with key extending into frieze. Cast iron 1st floor window guards. Cast iron area railings finialed and with anthemion standards. Interior has hexagonal vestibule, out of which rises the main staircase, the dome ceiling opened at the crown by a circular 1st floor landing gallery.
KING STREET, No. 15; Grade II Listed
Terrace house and shop. 1773. Stock brick, slate roof. A more sophisticated than usual treatment of a standard front in the manner of James Paine. 4 storeys and dormered mansard. 1 broad window wide. Ground floor has mid C.20 altered shop front, Windows of upper floors centred with those on 1st and 2nd floors contained in elliptical arched recess with pilastered Venetian sash window to 1st floor and tripartite pilastered glazing bar sash window with shallow entablature to 2nd floor; segmental arched recessed tripartite glazing bar sash to 3rd floor. The front is finished off with a parapet with stone coping. Interior retains a number of original features with plain geometrical staircase top lit, between front and back rooms. Regency chimneypieces and enriched pilaster cornices to plain walls.
KING STREET, No. 16; Grade II Listed
See under No. 27 and No. 28 Bedford Street.
KING STREET, No.8; Grade II Listed
Terrace house incorporating north gateway to St. Paul’s Churchyard. House has early C.19 front, the gateway of c.1730 with gate proper of 1714-15. Stock brick facade, slate roof. 4 storeys and dormered mansard. 3 windows wide. Mid C.20 shop front to right and to left c.1730 blocked architrave and corniced gateway to churchyard with good wrought iron gate of 1714-15. Upper floors have recessed sashes under gauged flat arches. Parapet with coping. Listed for St. Paul’s Churchyard entrance.
KING STREET, No. 14; Grade II Listed
Terrace house with shops. 1704-05 origin refaced c.1862. Stuccoed, concealed roof. Elaborate Italianate facade. 4 storeys. 1 broad window wide. Ground floor has mid C.20 shop front. Upper floors have recessed tripartite sash windows in architraves, on 1st floor with flanking Ionic pilasters supporting entablature, on 2nd floor with block balustrades and cornice on consoles. Rusticated and panelled quoin pilasters flank each floor with string and cill courses and deep crowning modillion bracketed cornice.
JAMES STREET, (east side) No. 56; Grade II Listed
House, now with shop, mid C.18 (1760s) altered c.1800 and subsequently. Yellowish brick in Flemish bond with red-brick flat arches to windows; roof concealed. 4 storeys with cellar, 2 bays; the top storey added c.1800. Ground floor has door to house on left (of 5 panels, boarded), with overlight, and late C.20 shop front on right, all in late C.19 shopfront surround having end pilasters with plinths and fluted brackets (right one removed). Homed 12-pane sashes to 1st floor; 2-light 4 pane casements to 2nd floor; horned 6-pane sashes to 3rd floor. Parapet with flat coping. Stack to right side. Rear ground-floor addition not of special interest; unhorned 12-pane sashes to stair. Interior: c.1800 stair with moulded closed string, stick balusters, columnar newels with block finials, and moulded handrail, rises from ground to 3rd floor. Panelling to stair and entrance hall, some of the panels replaced. Entrance hall archway. Moulded bead and reel cornices to 2 former ground-floor rooms (now shop). 1st floor principal room has fireplace with decorative iron surround to grate and wooden architrave with Greek-key cornice; flanking round-arched wall cornice. Rear room retains fireplace side-cupboards. 2nd floor principal room has shallow, plain, cornice. 3rd floor rooms have C.19 iron fireplace surrounds, but earlier cupboards. Various panelled doors throughout. James Street was laid out some time between 1761-69.
JAMES STREET, Nos. 10 and 10A (Nag’s Head Public House); Grade II Listed
Corner public house and shop. c.1900 by P.E. Pilditch. Red brick with terrocotta dressings. Slate roof. Jacobethan style with feature of corner tourelle. 3 storeys and half dormer attic. 3 windows wide, corner tourelle and 4 window return to Floral Street. Ground floor with open shop front (1OA) and public house front with corner entrance, returned with secondary entrance at end of Floral Street front, articulated by polished mullioned terracotta dressed sash windows, whilst the tourelle has mullioned-transomed with terracotta dressings and elaborate ornament to the aprons. Terracotta entablature over 1st floor carried round tourelle. Short sections of parapet link the pedimented half dormers whilst the tourelle rises higher, finished off with ogee capped dome.
RUSSELL STREET, No. 8; Grade II Listed
Terrace house with shop. c.1759-60. Plum coloured stock brick, yellow stocks to rebuilt parapet, concealed roof. Astylar, 3 storey and attic storey front. 3 windows wide. Ground floor has altered C.20 “Regency” shop front. Upper floors have recessed plate glass sashes under flat gauged red brick arches. Stone bracketed cornice over 2nd floor; parapet with coping. Interior retains original turned baluster staircase in fully panelled well; more panelling in 1st floor rear room. The house was the residence and shop of the bookseller Thomas Davies from c.1760 to his death in 1785, much frequented by the literati and actors of the period; it was at Davies’s that James Boswell first met Dr. Johnson.
SOUTHAMPTON STREET, No.26; Grade II Listed
Substantial terrace house. 1707-08 with 1903 shop front. Brown brick with rubbed brick dressings, slate roof. 4 storeys. 4 windows wide plus a blind half window to left. The 1903 shop front has a panelled door to right framed by pilasters and similar pilasters to left flank of 3 light shop window with slender Doric column dividers, inswept fascia and moulded cornice. Upper floors have slightly recessed sashes under flat rubbed brick gauged arches and with rubbed jamb dressings, the 2nd and 3rd floor sashes with glazing bars in moulded exposed box frames and with moulded cills. Moulded brick string courses and early C.19 (?) stucco frieze, moulded cornice and parapet with coping. Double pitch valley roof at right angles to facade. Interior retains original pilastered archway from hall to staircase with panelled soffit and keyed archivolt with patterned fanlight to lunette and panelled door inserted; dog leg cut and carved string staircase now in pairs of turned and twisted balusters per tread as some were removed for reuse in the mid C.20; rebuilt upper flights; closet wing, 1st floor front room with mask-keyed archivolt arched and panelled soffit cupboard niches flanking chimney breast etc.
SOUTHAMPTON STREET, No.27; Grade II* Listed
Substantial terrace house. 1706-08 with alterations to front in 1871. Brown brick with fine rubbed brick dressings and painted stone on stuccoed ground floor, slate roof. 4 storeys and basement, 4 windows wide. Channelled stucco ground floor (re-faced 1871) has an architraved doorway to right with cornice on consoles; the 3 close-set ground floor sashes in architraves with panelled friezes and cornices. 1st floor has C.19 plate glass sashes recessed under flat gauged arches whilst the 2nd and 3rd floors retain slightly recessed glazing bar sashes in exposed box frames, under flat gauged rubbed arches with triple brick key blocks. The front is framed by channelled block quoin pilasters, of exposed red brick above ground floor stucco, with stucco cornice over 1st floor and stuccoed cill courses to 2nd and 3rd floors, the whole finished off by a deep stucco entablature and parapet. Above the doorway is a figured bronze memorial tablet (of 1901) commemorating the residence of David Garrick from 1749-1772. C.19 cast iron railings to area. Good interior retaining most of its original panelling, the door from the hall to front room in fine carved architrave with enriched inswept frieze and cornice (probably a Garrick improvement); enriched plasterwork to hall ceiling; pilastered archway with archivolt and panelled soffit to inner hall and fully panelled stair compartment; spacious staircase rising in straight flights round narrow open well with curtail, cut and carved bracketed string with 3 twisted balusters per tread (2 per tread and simpler mouldings above 2nd floor), ramped and carved handrail on Corinthian column newels, the dado ramped in parallel with panelled pilasters; the main front room altered 1945 and lined with painted panelling of early C.18 character; the basement has an ornamental lead rainwater tank dated 1710 etc.